Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Shepherd and His Missing Lamb

PSALM 23

1 The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.

There is a shepherd watching over his sheep. He senses that there is something wrong. He feels like there is something out of place. The shepherd counted his sheep and realized that one was missing. A lamb had gone astray. "We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all (Isaiah 53:6)."

The shepherd immediately left his flock to find his missing lamb. He left all of his sheep behind to find ONE lamb. He traveled far and long until he finally found his missing lamb. The shepherd broke the lamb's leg and carried it home on his shoulders. He cared and tended to the lamb until it recovered. The shepherd was filled with joy when he found his missing lamb, "...there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent (Luke 15:4-7)."

This a story about a shepherd who cared about his sheep. A shepherd that would let no lamb go astray. A shepherd that was willing to do whatever it takes to find its missing lamb. The shepherd broke the lamb out of love. Love that covers a multitudes of wrong. Love that covers the shame of a lamb that disobeyed. A lamb that thought it could do life on its own. A lamb that thought it could survive without the shepherd. Foolish lamb, the shepherd is the source of food, shelter and care. The shepherd is the wellspring of life. "Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them (John 7:37-38)."

In this story I play the role of the missing lamb. So many times I have thought that I had it all together. So many times I have thought that I could do it on my own. So many times I have thought that I could do it alone, but... I can't. Every time I find myself lost and alone. Every time I find myself wishing that I had never ran away. Then I feel the break. The bones crack. The pride shatters and my heart turns. I feel like a brick wall has slapped me every time. I feel paralyzed and confused, but in this chaos I feel myself being lifted onto the shoulders of my Shepherd. I feel God's loving hands mending my wounds and healing my heart. The pain is a reminder of the sin that I let invade my life. It is a reminder of my brokenness. I much rather be a limping lamb than a lost lamb. I will limp for the rest of my life if I have to as long as I can be with God; as long as I can be with my shepherd.

It is these moments in my life that I realize how much God loves me. It is these moments of brokenness and confusion where I surrender it all to God. It is these moments where I let down my pride and let Christ carry me home. It is these moments where God's Glory shines. It is these moments when people look at the horizon and see me on the shoulders of my great Savior. It is this that brings Glory to God. It is not about what I have done on my own, but it is all about what God has done in me. It is all about God's Glory shining through my weakness. "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest (Matthew 11:28)."

God I give it up! "we(I) have sinned and done wrong. We(I) have been wicked and have rebelled; we(I) have turned away from your commands and laws (Daniel 9:5)." I have been on the run so long! Break my knees and bring me home! Break my pride and bring me home! I have nothing to hide. You have seen it all. You have seen the corruptness and you have seen the evilness, but Christ has satisfied. "But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed (Isaiah 53:5)." Bring me home! Bring me back into your arms. Nurse my wounds and heal the brokenness inside. Your love is so great and beautiful. Your love is true!

"For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls (1 Peter 2:25)."

I will live in the HOUSE of GOD FOREVER!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your heart and journey in such a honest and transparent way. Keep close to The Shepherd! You'll find that all the sheep in the fold are ones that were at one time or another the "one" that had gone astray.

    Walking the road with you. Praying for you. Love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete